California Wills Attorney
Drafting and Reviewing Last Wills and Testaments in Los Angeles and Orange Counties
A last will and testament is a primary part of any estate plan. If you pass away without having a valid will, the probate court will have to distribute your estate in accordance with California’s intestacy laws, which may not distribute your property as you would have chosen. When you have a will, the court will follow your instructions in the will as long as the document is valid and enforceable. To ensure your will covers all the necessary bases and is executed properly, you should seek help from a knowledgeable estate planning lawyer in Southern California.
A will serves different purposes, including:
- Designating who will serve as the executor of your estate
- Instructing which beneficiaries will receive which property and assets
- Indicating who will become the legal guardian of your children if one is necessary
These are all important functions of a will, but a will has no authority if it is not executed in compliance with California law. The law requires the following for a will to be valid:
- It must be in writing
- You must be at least 18 years old
- You must have a sound mind and mental capacity to understand the decisions you’re making
- You must sign the will or direct someone to sign for you in your presence
- At least two witnesses must be present and sign the will
Brasov Law provides advice on the contents of a will, as well as ensuring the will is going to stand up in court.
Contact a Wills Lawyer in La Mirada to Learn About Your Options
The truth is that every adult should have a will. Brasov Law helps clients of different ages and financial situations draft effective wills. Call 213.948.2500 or request a consultation through the form below.